Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A delayed but wordy update.

Friday 7/2

Today was my rest day, but I swam at lunch. Todays workout:

700M in 11.42
4 100s: breast, free, back, free
4 75 sprints of free
100 IM

As I was swimming my last 75M sprint I looked and saw a guy swimming the butterfly. I was inspired by the guy and decided to finish off with an IM. It is in these moments when your body is screaming for you to stop, even the clock is suggesting it's time to go back to work but all your mind wants to do is swim. So, though I was on the brink of exhaustion, I kept swimming and finished off with an IM.

Total for the day: 1500M

**note that these swims are within a tight time table--give or take exactly 30 min to swim as much as i can muster.

I've discovered a very subtle balance between how much to eat before swimming. If I'm starving then I'll stop early and be distracted the whole time I'm swimming. If I eat too close to swimming, then I can feel it the whole time I'm trying to swim. But if I eat a teensy bit, then I'm not hungry and not feeling like spewing.

I love it when I am in the middle of swimming a set and I suddenly don't feel like I'm trying all that hard. Though I know I'm truckin' along, it's as though I'm not even swimming my body is just gliding through that water full speed ahead.

awesome day.

Sat, Sun, Monday

Then there was the weekend. Rob and I drove to Pennsylvannia to paddle the Upper Yough and the Savage River. We paddled the Upper on Saturday and monday. Both runs went really well for me. Saturday we met up with a club called the Keel Haulers (a canoe club based out of Cleveland.) The guys we ran it with had been paddling for a range of 5 to 40 years. They gave us awesome lines and helped a lot with describing the rapids to me.

Rob had a scary pin on fuck-up falls (one of the last major rapids.) His boat
was broached between two rocks right at the entrance to the meat of the rapid.
Luckily it was the safest possible way it could have gone down. He was sitting
completely upright, so he could breathe fine, there were rocks that the people
that helped to rescue him could walk along. They ended up using a throw up and
having him pop his skirt and then walk out of his boat, while holding onto the
rope the guys were holding. Once he was out it was a HUGE task to get his boat
out of the rocks. As soon as he popped his skirt the boat was completely filled
with water making the boat impossible to maneuver, flip, plus it was very well
wedged between the rocks. finally after some heave hoing and careful angling and
pulling the boat was freed and then we were able to continue on.

Sunday we paddled the Savage, which was barrels of fun. 5 miles of continuous
3/4. There are only a couple majorish rapids, one such one is Triple Drop, but
you just have to go just to the left of the main hole and punch through the edge
of the wave at the bottom. Basically this river was soooo much fun. They had a
free shuttle van that would take you and your boat back to the top. Rob and I
did 4 runs, averaging 38 minutes apiece...needless to say that though we were
off the river by 2:30pm, we were both beat. Oh and there is also a boof that you
do off of a dam, so that was pretty fun.

Monday we went to the loop at the Lower Yough to waste some time before we could put on the Upper...stupid 1pm release...I demoed the biscuit, and have now found my one
true-love so I'm in the process of hunting one out on boatertalk or craigslist.
it's the LL biscuit 55 if anyone out there knows someone that would like to sell me one.

Then after having to part ways with my beloved future playboat, we drove to the
upper put-in. Got there around 12:15 and the second group of Keel Haulers was
actually "expecting" us...I felt so special. Put on the river and had a solid
run. I actually didn't flip once today!!! My favorite rapids thus
far...Hellzinger, Shotgun, Bastard boof...among many others, but those are the
ones that stick out. Rob didn't pin today, though as I threaded the needle it
was kind of eerie to be sneaking through where he had been stuck two days previous.

Overall, super stellar weekend. I'm kind of loving the upper right now, but I
could do without the massive crowds, but hopefully as I get used to the lines
and the river, this won't bug me quite as much. After all of this paddling Rob
and I managed to put in 41 miles, so yeah, my shoulders are sore today.

Saturday
Ran 2 miles
Upper Yough: 9.5 miles

Sunday
Savage River: 20 miles

Monday
Loop: 2 miles
Upper: 9.5 miles

Tuesday
1300M swim

8.25 500M free
12 25s--6 back, 6 free no break
4 75M free sprints
200M free cool down

As I mentioned in the above paragraphs, I paddled 41 miles the weekend prior to this workout. My shoulders were soooo sore the whole time swimming my 500M warm-up but awesomely by the time I was done swimming I had actually been loosened up.

Wednesday

9.5 bike to work
~3 mile run at lunch
9.5 bike home
(no run once I got home, too freaking hot)

The bike in was good today. It worked out quite conveniently because they are re-paving the parking lot, so to avoid having to park forever away from the entrance I decided to avoid driving completely and get a work-out in the process.

The run at lunch was murder, it was around 93 degrees around noon when I was running. I wasn't even that physically tired, but more so of the heat. I stopped a few times, not out of a need to rest tired muscles, but because there was a tree to stand under and the shade was a welcome retreat. my time was just under 30 minutes today.

Now that the heat of the summer has finally kicked up, I'm thinking of altering my schedule. I may just lengthen my morning run and forget about the evening run to avoid the heat.


Okay I think that's it.
-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment